Power Poster – Heritage Month

Describe your artwork

My artwork is of the 32nd President of the United States of America, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. In this image, FDR is colored in 3 different colors, a darker blue, a lighter blue, and a light yellow. This is a picture of one of his famous poses and the background is composed of the colors that he is made up of. Under him says the word “power” in large letters and under that, in smaller letters, the picture reads “Franklin Delano Roosevelt 32nd President of the United States of America.” All of these letters are in yellow and are on a dark blue surface.

How did you create your art?

This art was created by getting a picture of FDR and then putting it in Photoshop. This app made it so that we could split the picture up into a few different colors, light, dark, medium dark, and medium light. I then assigned each of those colors with a more colorful color and made FDR be composed of blues and yellow. Then I removed the background from the image and moved it to Adobe Illustrator where I then added background colors, a border, and all of the letters and words that were in the picture.

What’s the big idea behind your artwork?

The big idea behind my artwork was to help promote struggling or underrepresented communities in the world. FDR was a man in a wheelchair and he was disabled, so I made this poster to help represent and advocate for the disabled community. This poster helps motivate people to tell them that despite our differences, we can still be important to the world and make a big change to the world.

What were the goals for this artwork?

The goals for this artwork was to help represent an overlooked community, specifically disabled people. But my personal goal for this artwork was to understand how photoshop works and be able to use it effectively.

What are your overall thoughts of your artwork?

My overall thoughts of this artwork is that I think that it came out really well being that this was my first project in which I ever used photoshop. I like the colors that I picked and the person that I picked as well. I believe that I did a good job when it came to the overall piece of artwork and that it came out really well in the end.